Today, I installed Kubuntu 9.04
- The Good
- installs from within windows on ntfs (i’ve stopped attempting to install suse and sabayon for this reason)
- detects wireless (no wireless problems in linux since two years now)
- isn’t crashing (not that i have used it much or pushed it, for that matter)
- looks beautiful (this is one important factor that is keeping me tied to this)
- KDE4 widgets are kick-ass. cool!!
- its closing on with Ubuntu wrt functionality (i fundamentally like KDE, was a GNOME user due to Ubuntu’s remarkable features)
- installing software is easy. (installed opera as binary, codecs and related stuff with kubuntu-restricted-extras apt meta-package, including flash and java)
- Bundles software for most requirements are very good. Definitely a plus over gnome apps, I personally feel.
- The Bad
- Graphics issue. Drivers. Compiz doesn’t work. major blow. (I don’t care if it isn’t their issue. I am not blaming anyone. Just that, it doesn’t work for me)
- Restricted Hardware Driver isn’t mentioning that graphics card has propreitory driver. (I read that there isn’t one yet, for Jaunty+ATI)
- Sound from two sources – still buggy (youtbe in opera didn’t give sound with amarok paused)
- window manager themes could be better. (The destop looks beautiful, the windows not anywhere so)
- mouseless operation not comfortable (maybe its just me, being new to this desktop environment. buttons are tiny, mouse usage reqd is heavy)
- Keyboard media keys didn’t work out-of-the-box. configured them for amarok alone, but yet they don’t act as global shortcuts now.
Its otherwise a very good software. Remarkable in the fact that it is all this, and yet free. who are these ppl who write this software?? where are they? @ http://twitter.com/arbitya/status/2080048754